On May 6, 1757, almost 30,000 soldiers were killed or wounded when Prussian and Austrian armies fought for the capital of Prague. Among the fallen were Field Marshal Kurt Christoph von Schwerin and Field Marshal Maximilian Ulysses Browne.
During the subsequent centuries, various monuments were erected at the site where the battle was decided, culminating with an imposing monument for Marshal von Schwerin and a large military cemetery during World War II. However, these were destroyed after the war because of their ties to the Nazi regime.
Today, only a small stone monument stands here, built in 2007, commemorating all the fallen in the Battle of Prague, along with plaques commemorating von Schwerin and Browne and an information board about the battle and the history of the monument.
Historical war re-enactment societies from the whole of Europe occasionally perform elaborate public re-enactments of the Battle of Prague in the nearby fields.
Know Before You Go
The monument is located on the eastern outskirts of Prague, just a few minutes walk from the bus station "U Radiály".