This entry is a stub
This was the first dolmen identified as such in the Iberian Peninsula, in 1831 Numerous interventions since then have changed its original appearance. Structurally, it comprises a polygonal chamber formed by large, interlinked slabs with a covered passageway around six meters long (of which nothing now remains) and a large barrow that was partly removed in 1965 so that the dolmen was visible from the road.
Human remains have been found all over the site (in the chamber, the passageway, and the barrow), along with objects dating from various periods. The evidence suggests that it was first used as a burial site in the Neolithic, and then re-used in the Chalcolithic. Many of the items found here have now disappeared.
The original barrow measured around 30 meters in diameter. A number of fireplaces were discovered on it, which were likely used for ritual purposes. The barrow was later enlarged to, a diameter of 64 meters.