Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994, what would become known as the Mayfield-Gutsch Estate was purchased by Austin politician Allison Mayfield in 1909 with its 23 acres of land as a summer home for his family. The 1870s cottage was taken over by Allison’s daughter, Mary Mayfield-Gutsch, who installed a stone wall around the premises and filled the area with colorful gardens and more.
Upon her death, Mary donated the estate and its surrounding land to the city of Austin, Texas, which has kept the area open to the public. Visitors keep coming back to Mayfield Park because of the towering palmettos, delicate water lilies, soothing koi ponds, and the brilliant peacocks and peahens that are direct descendants of the fowl given to Mary as presents from her friends. Turtles, frogs, and fish have all made the park home over the years.
While open to the public every day from about 5 a.m. until 10 p.m., parts of Mayfield can be rented out to the public for small- or medium-sized events such as family gatherings, weddings, business conferences, or retreats.