The Monument to the Victims of the Sajmište Concentration Camp can be found on on the left bank of the river Sava.
The memorial is to honor the Jewish women and children who were held at the Sajmište concentration camp from 1941 to 1942. During that period, some 10,000 Serbs, 7,000 Jews, and at least 60 Roma died at the concentration camp. The people who were imprisoned there were kept in squalid conditions in makeshift barracks. They were only provided with limited rations, with many victims starving and freezing to death during the winter of 1941–42.
The death camp was founded on the former trade fair grounds located near Zemun. It was operated by SS Einsatgruppen units stationed in Serbia.
These victims of the Holocaust held in Sajmište Concentration Camp were murdered in gas vans during the spring of 1942. When the gassings were complete, the area was renamed as Zemun Concentration Camp. It then served to hold one last group of Jews arrested when Italy surrendered in September 1943.