Torre Flavia is a ruined medieval military fortification built on the beach near Ladispoli, Rome. It, and other towers, were part of a coastal defense system. In the 16th century, the fort was restored and strengthen by Cardinal Flavio Orsini, according to a defense program set up by popes Pius IV and Pius V.
The centuries-old structure was bombed by the Allies in 1943 and partially destroyed. Nature has not been kind to the ruins, either. The tower is located on the beach, meaning it’s subjected to erosion caused by the tides.
In the 1970s, a breakwater was erected to protect the structure. However, no more preservation actions have been undertaken, and the tower is continuing to decay.
There’s a beach near the tower that houses several species of birds and represents one of the last remnants of the ancient coastal environment of the area. It’s made of sandy dunes, marshes, and coastal ponds
Know Before You Go
The beach where the tower is located is free t0 access. There is parking in a nearby pizzeria and a short walk to reach the seaside. Information on the natural reserve can be found on its website.