Since 1832, War Eagle Mill has been a fully operational grist mill and the only working mill in the Ozarks. Anyone can visit and buy organic flour and cornmeal. There’s also a gift shop and restaurant. But things haven’t always been so quaint for the mill as the mill was destroyed four times and rebuilt three due to floods, fires, and looters.
Sixteen years after the first mill was erected, a flood washed it away. It was quickly rebuilt, this time with an additional sawmill. During the American Civil War, the mill was abandoned. The Union Army overtook the mill, but the Confederate Army managed to recapture War Eagle Mill and burned it to keep it out of Union hands. By the time the war was over, the area surrounding the mill was decimated.
The mill was rebuilt in 1873 until another fire in 1924. In those years, it cut almost all of the lumber for northwest Arkansas. In the 1970s, the mill was purchased by the present-day owners. Tumultuous days have turned to jams and butter biscuits for War Eagle Mill.