Albert Glatz Tobacco Shop
This restored 18th-century house was once the home of Lititz's first tobacconist.
Built in 1765, this log cabin was the home of Albert Glatz, the first tobacconist in Lititz, Pennsylvania. After his death, Glatz’s daughter, Benigna, and her husband, Gottlieb Eichler, became the owners of the house and continued to run the tobacco business.
Jacob C. Sturgis was the next owner of the house and shop, and he lived there with his wife and seven kids. He was a potter, sexton, and trombonist. His son, Edward, inherited the house after him. In the 1960s, a woman named Ethel Ehrhart also lived in the house.
The cabin is presently home to Ned and Michelle Beck, who bought it in the early 1990s and have painstakingly restored it, making sure to preserve the home’s 18th-century details as much as possible.
Some modernization was inevitable, such as the installation of a working shower, but the Becks kept the original charm by replacing the aluminum siding with board and batten walls, which were in fashion in the mid-1700s, around the time the house was built. The Becks also built a garage and a pollinator.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook