On Carnegie Avenue just east of E. 9th St. in downtown Cleveland, there is an unusual place to park your car. Locally referred to as the “Church of the Holy Parking Structure,” the two-story, 120-spot parking garage is owned and operated by St. Maron’s Parish at 1245 Carnegie Avenue.
Parking became a problem for parishioners after Jacobs Field (now Progressive Field, home to Major League Baseball’s Cleveland Guardians) opened in 1994. In 1998, the church demolished its social hall, erecting the parking structure in its place.
Each pillar on the upper deck is topped with a different Catholic saint, eight in total. The church charges $20 to park for special events, or $50 a month. This had to be a particular boon during the 455-game sell-out streak at then Jacobs Field.
St. Maron’s Parish was originally built in 1940. The addition of the parking garage within inches of the church has created some interesting visual obstructions, including obscuring several intricate stained glass windows and a Maronite cross on the outside of the building.