St. Joan of Arc Chapel - Atlas Obscura

St. Joan of Arc Chapel

Built in France in the 1400s, this gothic chapel now resides at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 

22
49

This gothic chapel was constructed in France in 1420 and was originally called St. Martin de Seysseul. In the 1920s, Gertrude Hill Gavin acquired and moved the chapel from France to her home in Long Island. 

The chapel was restored and beautiful French-style stained glass windows were installed. Gavin rededicated the building to St. Joan of Arc Chapel and added the “Joan of Arc Stone”  to the wall behind a Gothic altar, which she also purchased for the chapel. 

The stone has an official French endorsement of authenticity and is believed to have a connection to the saint herself. In 1962, Marc Rojtman bought the chapel and gifted it to Marquette University. The move was completed to its Milwaukee home by 1966 where it continues to be used for masses and the university.

Community Contributors
Added by
Edited by

March 29, 2024

Make an Edit Add Photos
In partnership with KAYAK

Plan Your Trip

From Around the Web