This Texas home and garden was the masterpiece of a British portrait painter.
Chandor Gardens combines elements of ancient Chinese architecture and formal English gardens. The Texas estate is filled with beauty and wonder, from the 30-foot artificial waterfall to fountains, gazebos, and flora, the gardens offer something new and exciting at every turn.
The historic 3.5-acre garden was established in Weatherford, Texas, by the British-born painter Douglas Chandor in 1936. Originally named White Shadows, the garden was renamed by Chandor’s late wife, Ina Kuteman, after he died in 1953. It was kept open to the public until her death in 1978. After her death, the property was abandoned, and for the next 16 years remained unattended, overgrown, and deteriorating. In 1994, Melody and Chuck Bradford purchased the estate and took on the enormous task of restoring the gardens and home.
In what can only be described as a true labor of love, they painstakingly spent years, cleaning, clearing, and replanting. Thanks to their efforts, Chandor Gardens was again transformed into a lush, tranquil oasis. The city of Weatherford purchased the property from the Bradfords in May 2002 and reopened it to the public in the fall of that year. The Gardens and home are listed in the national register of historic places.
Know Before You Go
Check the website for hours and visiting information.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook