This late 18th-century cabin appears to be remarkably well-preserved. In fact, it was completely disassembled and moved from its original location on nearby Merryman Street to its current place of pride on Main Street in Ellicott City, Maryland.
Originally built sometime around 1780, the cabin’s namesake didn’t enter the picture until 1858. That year, Thomas Isaac bought the cabin.
The cabin served as a central gathering place for the region’s Black community in the 1870s, prior to the building of St. Luke A.M.E. Church, and remained in the Isaac family until 1933.
John Henry Stanton was the next owner of the cabin, later willed to his widow, Fannie Jackson Stanton. By 1970, it was vacant. The cabin was taken apart completely and reassembled in its present location in the 1980s.
The cabin was temporarily moved to a nearby parking lot after a destructive flash flood in 2018 and then returned once again to its current location on Main Street.