William Hilleary House – Bladensburg, Maryland - Atlas Obscura

AO Edited

William Hilleary House

Bladensburg, Maryland

George Washington once stopped by this house for dinner.  


Known also as the Hilleary-Magruder House, this historic residence was constructed in 1742 by William Hilleary and is the oldest house in Bladensburg. It’s also the only 18th-century stone, gambrel-roofed house in Prince George’s County.

The house was purchased from Hilleary by Scottish tobacco merchant Richard Henderson in 1763. Henderson had connections to George Washington, who dined there on May 9, 1787. According to the historical marker, he fell ill with a bad headache and an upset stomach.

The house was sold to Dr. David Ross in 1793 and served as a makeshift hospital for troops injured during the Battle of Bladensburg. 

Several other prominent individuals lived at the location in the 19th-century, including Dr. Alexander Mitchell and Leonard M. Deakins. The William Hilleary House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It’s now owned by Prince George’s Heritage, Inc. and serves as the home for that organization.

In partnership with KAYAK

Plan Your Trip

From Around the Web